It was a stay at home date night a few months ago and Rob and I were both feeling adventurous in the cooking department. We came up with shrimp and tortellini with a butternut squash sauce that is absolutely foolproof and so easy to make.
Links in this post may be affiliate links which means if you purchase from one of my links I am paid a small commission on your purchase. Furthermore, I only recommend products I use or buy.
I have been looking forward to this part of blogging for a long time. Ever since starting this blog I have been wanting to post recipes.
Unfortunately, for a long time I lived in a non updated, small kitchen that lacked great lighting. However, after our recent move we now have this updated kitchen that has excellent lighting. I knew I wanted to share the shrimp and tortellini recipe first.
I headed to the store and picked up the ingredients for this recipe. While a little more expensive than some of our other delicious dishes, it’s well worth it.
This recipe can serve up to 4 people with leftovers. You can cut the recipe in half. However, the leftovers are just as amazing the next day.
A few notes on the shrimp before we dive into the recipe. You can use chicken instead of shrimp. Additionally, if you can only get jumbo shrimp on sale that’s ok just cut them into smaller bites.
- 1 24oz Jar of Butternut Squash Sauce
- 2 Bags Frozen Cheese Tortellini
- 1 lbs Cooked and Peeled Frozen Shrimp
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Start a large pot of water with salt to boil on the stove. I personally love this pot and strainer combo.
- Defrost Shrimp and rinse well in the sink. If tails are attached go ahead and remove them.
- Put 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet and heat till butter is melted and the pan is hot. Drain the shrimp extremely well and add it to the skillet. I love this skillet.
- Warm on medium heat. Drain extra liquid if needed. Add basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir occasionally.
- Add the butternut squash sauce to the skillet and let heat.
- Once sauce starts to heat you can slowly add one cup of shredded parmesan stirring often to avoid sticking.
- Once the pan of water is boiling add your two bags of tortellini. Once the tortellini floats it’s finished cooking. Should take about 7 minutes for two bags 3-4 with only 1.
- Drain the tortellini and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and shrimp to the pot and stir till all the tortellini is covered.
- Serve and garnish with extra shredded parmesan cheese.
I love how easy this recipe is. It feels and tastes like a dish you get from a fancy restaurant without ever leaving your home. Additionally, it doesn’t take a long time to make and serve up.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin it to your favorite food boards.