I absolutely love sweet potatoes. Especially my Cheesy Garlic Sweet Potato Smash. With the addition of garlic and cheese to the sweet potato you get this wonderful blend of sweet and savory.
This sweet potato smash makes for a delicious side dish that will delight your family while not leaving you in the kitchen for an hour working on it. Additionally, it makes for a great snack if you end up with any leftovers. That’s only happened once in this house.
Check out my post Colorful Peppers and Smoked Sausage.
I came up with this recipe one day when I was feeling the need for something sweet and savory. While my usual go to for sweet and savory usually ends up being some sort of chinese food I didn’t have anything readily available in that department.
Also looking to get rid of some extra sweet potato I made a full sweet potato added the garlic butter and melted some cheese on it. The full version was fantastic but it was a meal all it’s own.
The next time I made it I sliced the sweet potato into ½ inch slices. I ended up being just as pleased with the outcome. After a couple of attempts I’ve nailed down the recipe which serves 4 people.
Check out my post Shrimp and Tortellini with Butternut Squash Sauce.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 8 oz bag of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Wash sweet potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Microwave each individually for 4-5 minutes a piece depending on thickness.
- Using a pot holder to hold onto the sweet potato slice ½ inch slices discarding the ends.
- Place them flat on a cookie sheet.
- Spread butter on each slice. Put back into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through for easy smashing.
- Remove sheet from oven and carefully use two forks to smash the centers of the sweet potato slices.
- Melt 3 Tbsp of Butter in microwave, usually about 30 seconds. Mix in garlic powder and salt. Carefully pour the garlic butter over each slice evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese over each slice.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes till cheese is melted. Serve.
My family has absolutely fallen in love with this sweet potato recipe. It’s got the right mix of sweet to savory. Additionally, it’s hard to stop eating these.
Check out my post 30 Quick and Easy Dinners.
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite food boards.